Sophie, an 18-year-old female, had to be airlifted by the emergency response team after sustaining multiple injuries from a car crash. She was unconscious and had unstable vital signs. Doctors also suspect that she had several fractures from the accident.
Physician: Can you identify the patient?
Nurse: The EMT handed me her driver’s license and it identified her as Sophie Turner, 18 years of age, from 14 E Stonybrook, Connecticut.
Physician: Please give her Lactated Ringer’s solution to be infused rapidly via two large-bore peripheral intravenous catheters.
Nurse: Blood pressure is dropping, oxygen saturation is at 90%, and respiratory rate at 7 breaths per minute.
Physician: Let’s start the endotracheal intubation and place ventilatory monitoring and ECG leads. This patient is at death’s door. We will also conduct a fast abdominal sonogram to determine the extent of her chest or abdominal injury.
Nurse: I already called the sonography department, doc.
Physician: Once the procedure is done, you may wheel the patient to the ICU department.
Nurse: That has been noted, we will transfer the patient after my call to the ICU department about this admission.
|At death’s door||A near death experience|
|Airlift||Transportation by air|
|EMT||Emergency Medical Technician|
|Sustain an injury||To suffer or have an injury|
|Fracture||Another term for broken bone|
|Unconscious||Not awake or responding to external stimuli|
|Infuse||To let a fluid substance into a person’s vein|
|Large-bore intravenous catheter||An intravenous line that delivers large amount of fluid|
|Oxygen saturation||The amount of red blood cells (hemoglobin) that has oxygen|
|Endotracheal intubation||Placement of tube through the windpipe or the mouth|
|Ventilatory||Pertaining to something that helps circulate air|
|Sonogram||The image produced during a sonography|
|Wheel||To carry someone through something that has wheels|
- When someone is at death’s door, he or she is very ill and almost dying.
Example: He was at death’s door after getting involved in a car accident, but the doctor revived him.
- When someone or something has to be airlifted, the means of transportation is by air.
Example: The food supply was airlifted to reach the troop.
- An Emergency Medical Technician or an EMT is a member of the healthcare team trained to respond during emergency. They are also called ambulance technicians in some countries.
Example: The EMTs responded quickly following the car crash.
- If you sustained an injury, it means you had or suffered an injury after an accident.
Example: She sustained right leg fracture due to fall.
- A broken bones or fracture can be caused by accidents. It may be due to sports, falls, or vehicular accidents.
Example: Kirsten sustained a fracture on the right arm from a fall.
- A person becomes unconscious, meaning not awake and responsive to tactile (touch), verbal, and other form of stimulation usually because of an injury.
Example: He became unconscious immediately after getting into a collision with another car.
- When you infuse something, usually in fluid form, you introduce fluid through a patient’s vein.
Example: Maria received medications via intravenous infusion.
- A large-bore IV catheter usually utilizes large cannula that delivers large amount of fluids into the patient’s vein in the fastest way. This is used especially during emergencies.
Example: She lost lots of blood and they had to deliver fluids via large-bore IV catheter to prevent shock.
- Oxygen saturation refers to the amount or fraction of hemoglobin or red blood cells that carry oxygen versus the total amount.
Example: Healthy individuals have an oxygen saturation of 94-100%.
- A tube is usually inserted through the mouth during endotracheal intubation especially during emergency situations. The tube may also be inserted via the windpipe (trachea) or the nose.
Example: They had to do endotracheal intubation because her ventilation was impaired following an injury to her lungs.
- Ventilation refers to the movement of air from one space to another. Anything that refers or pertains to ventilation is called ventilator.
Example: She couldn’t really breathe so she has to be assisted by a ventilatory device.
- Sonography is commonly known as ultrasound. The image produced following this imaging test is called the sonogram.
Example: The sonogram revealed a tumor.
- When you are being wheeled, you are carried or transported to another place via something that has a wheel.
Example: She was wheeled into the operating room per stretcher.