Carice was under so much stress and she feels like she is coming down with a flu. She is experiencing malaise, joint pains, runny nose, and intermittent fever. Before she takes a turn for the worse, she decided to schedule an appointment with her physician over the phone.
Secretary: (Phone rings) Hello! You have reached Dr. Anderson’s clinic and it’s her secretary speaking. How may I help you?
Carice: Good morning! This is Ms. Carice Williams and I’d like to set an appointment with Dr. Anderson tomorrow, September the 5th, 2016, at around 9 in the morning.
Secretary: That has been noted, Ms. Carice, but let me check Dr. Anderson’s schedule tomorrow first. Hmmm. It looks like she will not be around tomorrow, but a locum tenens will fill in for her. Would you still want to push through with your appointment?
Carice: Yes. I’m pushing through with it because I’m afraid if I cancel I would take a turn for the worse. I feel like I’m coming down with a flu judging by the symptoms I have. I’m experiencing runny nose, intermittent fever, and malaise.
Secretary: Alright, Ms. Carice. I’m finalizing your appointment. We’ll see you tomorrow then!
Carice: Thanks for the help!
Secretary: You’re very much, welcome!
|Come down with (a flu)||To get sick with a flu, cold, or any illness|
|Malaise (pronunciation: mah-layz)||An overall bodily discomfort|
|Runny nose||Sensation felt when there is excess fluid draining from the nose|
|Intermittent fever||An on and off type of fever|
|Take a turn for the worse||If something, like an illness or a situation, becomes severe|
|Locum tenens||A person who is a temporary substitute, specifically a physician|
- If you come down with something, it means you get sick with a certain illness like a flu or cold.
Example: My coworker is sick with the flu. I feel like I’m coming down with it, too.
- Malaise is general body weakness or uncomfortable feeling.
Example: Lack of sleep caused me malaise the following day.
- If you have allergies or sick with a cold or flu, your body will produce extra mucus and if excess fluid drains from your nasal cavity, you are said to have runny nose.
Example: It’s hard to focus at work with this runny nose.
- When you have intermittent fever, there are periods that you run a fever and then it subsides.
Example: I already want to return to work, but I still have an intermittent fever.
- A situation or an illness takes turn for the worse when it becomes severe.
Example: The fever has already subsided then she suddenly took turn for the worse when she started having seizures.
- A locum tenens is a professional, specifically a physician, who temporarily substitutes another person of the same profession.
Example: Dr. Anderson is on a vacation so a locum tenens stands in for her.
- What are the symptoms experienced by Carice?
- When is Carice’s appointment with Dr. Anderson?
- Who is going to fill in for Dr. Anderson in her absence?
- What does a locum tenens do?