Robb Tully is a middle-aged man with an endomorphic body type. He thinks he is in bad shape so he went out for a run one day, but experienced shortness of breath afterwards. He decided to visit his cardiologist, Dr. Frey.
Dr. Frey: Good morning, Mr. Tully. I’ve noticed this is your second visit to my clinic this month. What seems to be the problem?
Robb Tully: I was just out for a run early this morning and I suddenly experienced chest pain and shortness of breath.
Dr. Frey: Let me check your blood pressure first. Hmm…It is quite elevated. I’ll have your ECG done to monitor your heart’s activity. If results are good, I’ll prescribe you medications and just send you home.
Robb Tully: Alright. Sounds good to me. Thanks Doc!
Dr. Frey: You’re most welcome, Mr. Tully.
|In bad shape||In bad physical condition, not fit or healthy|
|Endomorphic||A round body type; fat|
|Middle-aged||Age period between young adulthood and old age|
|Shortness of breath||Difficulty breathing|
|Cardiologist||A doctor who specializes on treating disorders of the heart|
|ECG||Stands for electrocardiogram/electrocardiography|
- Injury, pregnancy, and obesity are some of the reasons why someone is in bad shape.
Example: I’ve gained weight in the past couple of months. I need to diet and exercise because I’m in bad shape.
- If a person has large amount of body fat, he or she is considered an endomorph. Endomorphic is used to describe a round body type.
Example: Overweight people usually are usually endomorphic.
- A middle-aged person is someone who is roughly between 45 to 65 years old.
Example: My aunt just turned 45. She is already a middle-aged woman.
- When you experience chest tightness, pain, and have to exert effort in breathing, you are most likely experiencing shortness of breath.
Example: I had the worst cough this month. They had to rush me to the hospital due to shortness of breath.
- A cardiologist is a medical doctor who specializes on the diagnosis, treatment or management of the diseases of the heart.
Example: My grandpa is known to be hypertensive. He needs to see his cardiologist every month.
- An electrocardiogram is a test that checks the electrical activity of the heart to determine whether or not it’s working normally.
Example: She complained about experiencing chest pains so the cardiologist made her undergo an ECG.
- Are you an endomorph? Why? Why not?
- What test did Dr. Frey conduct on Robb Tully?
- How old a person should be to be considered middle-aged?
- What did Rob Tully do before experiencing shortness of breath?